Consultation on planned cutbacks to library services has now begun -
there are public meetings in the evenings this week and also a second
set in September. A timetable of meetings is available here: please
also visit your local library as there will be questionnaires
available there of fill it in on line.
We will be presenting a petition calling for no cuts to services or detrement to staff.
You can download the petition in the sidebar of the website.
The Council openly states that the proposals are to make budget cuts,
and that Councillors have approved plans for:
• possible new shared and / or externalised management and support arrangements
• introducing self-service machines into all libraries and working
more closely with community volunteers
• a review of library provision in Cambridge City and the surrounding area
• streamlining the mobile library service
• new support arrangements for Library Access Points
• cutting costs
• increasing income
All of these are likely to mean a worse service for users - and will probably very little impact on the Council's budget if they save money at all.